Wounded UK journalist is smuggled out of Syria
BRITISH photographer Paul Conroy has escaped from the besieged Syrian city of Homs to Lebanon, his father Les confirmed yesterday. "We've just had word from Beirut," Mr Conroy Sr said. The photographer was injured in the bombardment which killed Sunday Times war correspondent Marie Colvin and French photojournalist Remi Ochlik.
Mr Conroy Sr said he had not spoken to Paul – a father of three – but his wife had and she described their son as being in "very good spirits". He added: "We're all very relieved and happy Paul's out."
French reporter Edith Bouvier, of Le Figaro newspaper, who was injured in last week's attack by Syrian Government forces, was also safely out of Syria, according to reports.
Mr Conroy, 47, from Totnes, Devon, appealed for help earlier in a video posted on YouTube.
Lying on a sofa in a darkened room and covered in a blanket, he said he sustained "three large wounds" to his leg in the attack and was being looked after by Free Syrian Army medical staff. The freelance photojournalist, who was also hit in the stomach by shrapnel, added he wanted to reassure family and friends in Britain he was "absolutely okay".
Ms Bouvier, who suffered multiple leg fractures, was also seen ask- ing for help in being evacuated.
Teams from the Syrian Arab Red Crescent made their way into the embattled Homs neighbourhood of Baba Amro on Monday to remove casualties but apparently left without the wounded journalists or the bodies of their colleagues. (...)