Islamist mob desecrates British war graves in Libya's Benghazi
LONDON - Libyan authorities have been "extremely apologetic" over the desecration of Commonwealth graves in the eastern city of Benghazi, a British Foreign Office minister said Sunday. Jeremy Browne said the incidents were "appalling" and people would be "shocked" by the footage of the February 24 and 26 attacks.
"The Libyan authorities themselves are shocked too," he told Sky News television.
"We have had direct dealings with them. They have been extremely apologetic and made a very strong commitment they will get to the bottom of this happening. They will try and do everything they can to resolve it.
Video footage shows a mob smashing up headstones and a cross of sacrifice, saying "they are dogs".
Local reports said the group comprised Salafists angered by the burning of the Koran at a NATO military base in Afghanistan last month.
The Libyan transitional government on Tuesday condemned the attacks and vowed to find the perpetrators.
Some 1,214 Commonwealth troops who died in the north African desert battles of World War II are buried at the Benghazi War Cemetery, where around 200 headstones were damaged.
Of the 1,051 identified graves, 851 are those of British troops, with others belonging to Australian, Canadian, New Zealand, South African and Indian servicemen. (...)