US embassy attack 'response to fight against Islam': suspect
A radical Muslim facing terrorism charges over an attack last year on the US embassy in Bosnia said his act was a response to the "American combat against Islam", a video released at the trial Tuesday showed.
"I attack the Americans who have launched a combat against Islam and Muslims throughout the world," the main suspect Mevlid Jasarevic said in the video recorded before the October 2011 attack.
The video was broadcast by the prosecution at the hearing before a Sarajevo court.
"I warn the Muslims of Bosnia. They should wake up, be prudent and find again their faith in Allah," Jasarevic said in the video message.
Bosnian Muslims, who make up 40 percent of the Balkan country's 3.8 million inhabitants, mostly practice a moderate Islam.
Jasarevic also blamed Germany for having sent troops to Afghanistan and announced a "new kind of war" against it.
"This war will get into your homes. Food and water will be poisoned... if you do not withdraw from Afghanistan within a month," he said, filmed sitting against a wall between two automatic rifles.
Jasarevic asked his mother to forgive him if he was to kill Muslims in the attack he had planned to organise. (...)