Two Canadians wrongly linked to anti-Islam film
Two Canadian human-rights activists say they fear for their lives after being wrongly linked to an anti-Muslim film that has sparked worldwide riots and protests. Nader Fawzy and Jacques Attalla said Thursday they are among a number of Coptic Christians who Egypt has accused of being involved in the production, distribution or promotion of the film, Innocence of Muslims.
Both men deny any link to the film. They said they had never heard of the amateurish movie until it began sparking violent protests across the Middle East last week. Mr. Fawzy had actually denounced the film in a statement issued on behalf of the Middle East Christian Association.
The two men, both Canadian citizens, say they believe they’ve been targeted because they’ve been outspoken activists against the persecution of Coptic Christians in Egypt.
"I think the new Islamic regime in Egypt, they are trying to terror[ize] all the Coptic activists outside of Egypt to let them shut up, to keep quiet,” Mr. Fawzy said in a telephone interview from his home in Toronto. (continue reading...)